It hosts Grade 10 reading materials and exercises covering main question types, provides answers for all questions; students can get reading materials and exercises by topics or types and practices online.
Questions 1-7: The text has eight paragraphs, A–H. Which paragraph contains the following information? Write the correct letter, A–H, in boxes.
1. The origin of the word ‘calisthenics’.
2. The last popular supporter of calisthenics.
3. The first use of calisthenics as a training method.
4. A multidisciplinary approach to all-around health and strength.
5. Reasons for the survival of calisthenics throughout the ages.
6. The use of a medical substance to increase muscle mass and strength.
7. A reference to traveling showmen who displayed their strength for audiences.
QUESTIONS 8–12: Complete the summary below. Choose NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS from the text for each answer. Write your answers in boxes.
During the sixties and seventies, attaining huge muscles became more important than (8) or having an attractive-looking body. The first people to take up this new sport of body building had a background in calisthenics but the most famous practitioners became known as (9) on account of the impressive size of their muscles. Drugs and mechanical devices were used to develop individual muscles to a monstrous size. Calisthenics then became the domain of ‘weaker’ people: females, children, and those recovering from (10) . Much of the advanced knowledge about calisthenics was lost and the method was subsequently downgraded to the status of a simple, user-friendly activity. Once a person became skilled at this, he would progress to (11) . Currently, a revival of calisthenics is under way as extreme muscle building can harm the body leaving it sore, out of balance, and in poor (12) .