It hosts Grade 8 reading materials and exercises covering main question types, provides answers for all questions; students can get reading materials and exercises by topics or types and practices online.
Questions 1-6: Complete the summary below. Choose NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS AND/OR NUMBERS for each answer. Write your answers in boxes 1-6 on your answer sheet.
The study of (1) in very young children has changed considerably in the last 50 years. It has been established that children can speak independently at age (2) , and that this ability is innate. The child will, in fact, follow the speech patterns and linguistic behavior of its carers and parents who act as (3) .
Babies actually benefit from “baby talk”, in which adults (4) both sounds and facial expressions. Babies' ability to (5) sound patterns rather than words comes earlier than was previously thought. It is very important that babies are included in (6) .
Questions 7-12: Do the following statements agree with the information given in the Reading Passage? Answer Yes, No or Not given.
Yes: if the statement agrees with the claims of the writer No: if the statement contradicts the claims of the writer Not given: if it is impossible to say what the writer thinks about this
7. Children can learn their first language without being taught. Answer 7:
8. From the time of their birth, humans seem to have the ability to learn language. Answer 8:
9. According to experts in the 1950s and ‘60s, language learning is very similar to the training of animals. Answer 9:
10. Repetition in language learning is important, according to Dr. Eliot. Answer 10:
11. Dr. Golinkoff is concerned that “baby talk” is spoken too much by some parents. Answer 11:
12. The first word a child learns to recognize is usually "Mummy" or "Daddy". Answer 12: