Vocabulary Study Online (VSO) is an all-in-one course to study English vocabulary. It's powered by AI (Artificial Intelligence) technology to help students build vocabulary efficiently and with their pace.
You can load the wordlist in three ways:
- Your personalized wordlist from tutor, textbook, or anywhere else;
- K12 spelling words, or SAT/ACT vocabularies in the website;
- Vocabularies of standardized English tests, such as IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, GRE, TOEIC, and ECPE.
By design, the AI scheduler of examword.com will drive students' studying and reviewing, and push them to achieve their goals as soon as possible. Besides, VSO isn't just a simple online app; it offers an interface to let tutors guide students as similar to traditional educating.
VSO has an auto-reminder feature. If you don't study, review, or test over seven days, VSO will send a reminder email to push you forward. If you dislike the reminder, you can cancel it from the email's bottom link.
If you don't touch the current course - not study, review, or test - over 60 days, the course data will be removed. You have to load words to course again to restart vocabulary building.
VSO itself can run under a free account, which has a limit of 12 months. However, if your account is VIP, we store your data as long as the VIP status active. It means your course will remain until you stop renewing VIP. (VIP costs $12/year, details are in Help.)
Studying vocabulary is a hard job, which usually costs much time and effort. Proper wordlist, scientific method, advanced tool, and experienced tutor are four fundamental elements to build your vocabulary. VSO is a course with all these merits.
To help you start quickly, we will show you some primary features of VSO briefly.
(More questions and answers are Here.)
1 Account and Sign-On
From the angle of technology, VSO is a cloud-based app. It saves all data at examword.com. Students need to sign on before creating their courses.
So, the first step is to create an account at examword.com. If you already have an account on this website, you don't need a new account. If not, you have to register an account through the Sign-On button. Here you need input an email address as the account name and click Register button. Then you will receive an access code very soon. Using the email and access code, you can sign on your account now. How to do it
VSO itself is free. We encourage students and tutors to leverage this handy and smart tool to speed up vocabulary building.
2 Create Course
If you don't create course yet, please create your course through
Here, you should specify below fields:
- Student Name: an identifier for you, like abc001;
- Report Email: your test result will be sent to it;
- Auto Report: if checked, every test result will be sent automatically;
- Test Size: question numbers in each test sheet;
- Words in New Page: Word number in new words page;
- Words in Studying Page: Word number in studying words page;
- Words in Locked page: Word number in locked words page;
- Words in Review: Word number in review page;
After you click Create Course button, you will be assigned a Class No. (If you have a tutor in VSO program, he or she may change your Class No.)
All fields in Preference can be updated anytime after saved. How to do it
3 Load New Words
You can add new words to your course anytime by
There are three types of wordlist to load:
- Your personalized wordlists (Format of my wordlist)
- K12 vocabularies from the website
- Vocabularies of standardized English tests
You have to spend some time picking up the right one for your circumstance. If you loaded a wrong word list, don't worry, you can remove it quickly, and re-load others.
One real wordlist usually has hundreds or thousands of words. We group it into sub-lists, which are called items: every time you select only ONE sub-list to load. If you load a sub-list twice, VSO will exclude duplicated words automatically. (The feature doesn't work for personalized wordlist.)
Before load words, you may check two options on-demand:
Notice that only VIP accounts can load all built-in vocabularies of examword.com. In VSO, if you sign on with a free account, you may see some limits when loading latter sub-lists. If you do need to load them, please Buy or subscribe to VIP.
Reset Status to New if Loaded Before: If you didn't load these words before, this option doesn't impact anything. If loaded before, when checked, original statuses will be cleaned, words back to New; when unchecked, existing words and states will keep as before.
Append Definition of My Language: Some wordlists of the website have definitions of multiple languages. If checked, VSO will add your home language's meaning when loading. (How to set my language)
Screenshots for available wordlist:
4 Course's Summary
, you can view your course briefly.
Words and Marks
shows the current progress of vocabulary building.
- New word: the number of words you loaded but never touch yet.
- In studying: the number of words you learned, and you will review by schedule.
Here Mark stands for the count of your review. One means to schedule for first time review, two means to schedule for second time review, etc. When Mark is 9, it doesn't increase anymore.
It shows the number of words scheduled for the next ten days to review. It's for you to estimate workload. (How to get it
It shows the logs of Load Words. You can view what and when you loaded, and an abstract of each load. (How to get it
5 Working Word Lists
In your VSO course, there are three working lists separately for
- New words: you loaded but not learned or touched yet.
- Studying words: you learned and will review in future
- Locked words: excluded from New or the Studying words, you don't want to learn or review anymore.
6 New Word
After VSO loads a word to a course, it's called a new word, no matter if you know it or if you will learn it.
The new word list is the start point of a course. After loading some words, you can open the New Words page.
This page is designed to learn new words, each time it displays six words by default. You may change the word number by Preference, but too big doesn't help to learn new words efficiently.
There are four options for each new word:
- Keep as new: leave it in new word list, and learn in the future;
- Change to studying: move it to the studying word list, it will be reviewed by schedule;
- Change to locked: move it to locked word list, don't learn or review again; but you can get it back to new or studying lists;
- Delete it: remove this word from current course, never revisit it in future;
In general, you should lock or delete known words from the new word list and move learned words to the studying word list for future review.
Learning new words from New Word List page is a daily action. At the beginning, we recommend:
How to study new words
- Your new word list should be less than 500 words;
- Learn new words by alphabet order;
- Each time -each page - focus on 6-10 new words;
Besides, two additional buttons help to manage New Word List:
- Add Other New Words: If the new words are less than 500, you can add other items.
- Remove All New Words: If you think current new words aren't proper for your case, you can remove all of them.
7 Locked Word
Locked word can be a known or unknown word that you exclude from learning or reviewing, but you don't want to delete it. It means you can change its status to new or studying on demand.
The locked word list page is similar to the new word list page. There are four options for each word:
- Change to new: move it to new word list, and the word will be ready to learn;
- Change to studying: move it to the studying word list, the word will be reviewed by schedule;
- Keep as locked: leave it in locked word list, don't learn or review, but you can get it back;
- Delete it: remove this word from course, never revisit it in future;
Locked word list page is only for adjusting individual word's status. It's not a daily action for vocabulary building.
8 Studying Word
A studying word is learned but needs to review. Every studying word has a Mark, from 1 to 9, which indicates the count of reviewing and decides the next scheduled date.
The studying word list page is similar to the new word list page. There are three options for each word:
How to get studying word list
- Change to new: move it to new word list, and the word will be ready to learn from start point;
- Keep as studying: leave it in studying word list with or without changing Mark;
- Change to locked: move it in locked word list, don't learn or review, but you may get the word back;
The studying word list page is for adjusting individual word's status. For example, to keep the studying words less than 4000, you can move some high mark words to locked list on this page. It's not a daily action for vocabulary building.
9 Today Review
It is the most characteristic feature of VSO. In vocabulary building, students spend more than 80% of the time on scheduled reviewing, namely on this page. It's a daily action.
The Today Review page is very similar to the studying words page; both pages show studying words. The differences are:
This page is much smaller than studying words page because it just lists the words that are scheduled on the current day or previous days to review. In other words, it only contains words you need review right now.
How to review studying word
Besides, Today Review page adds ONE point to every word's mark automatically; the words' statuses are updated already. If you submit the page, all words' marks will be plus one.
10 Quick Test
The Quick Test is the primary tool for both students and tutors to evaluate and control the progress of vocabulary building.
The test sheet is designed to check if students know or learn tested-words with multiple definition options. One test sheet may have 10 to 50 quizzes; you can adjust the test size by Preference. Each quiz is to choose the correct definition for the questioned word. VSO produces the test sheet dynamically.
To make a test sheet, you need to specify the list of test: new words, studying words, or locked word. You can also define the test range among a list. By default, the range is A to Z; it means all words in the current word list, but you can shrink the range on demand.
(How to do it
If the specified list and range have enough words to make a test sheet, you will see a new test sheet on the page, and the timer is turned on for the new test. You should answer the quizzes immediately.
At the test sheet, you can see two buttons:
- Check Answer: Check test result, show wrong answers in red. If your current score is less than 40%, VSO will refuse the request.
(How to do it)
- Save Result: Save test result to the cloud for future viewing and sending. If you don't save, the test result will disappear after you leave this page.
(How to do it)
Besides, if you checked Auto Report in Preference, the result will be sent to Report Email accordingly.
11 Test Report
The test reports are used for both students and tutors to manage vocabulary building. After finishing a test, the student should click the Save Result button to save the test result to the cloud. Notice that the test result won't be stored automatically unless the tester pushes Save Result button to keep it.
The Current Report shows the latest test report. You can retrieve other reports through All Reports.
When viewing a report, you can see a Sent It button, which sends the report to Report Email.
How to view and send report