This is a full sample of IELTS listening test, including library, travel, tourism, and environment topics.
SECTION 1 Questions 1-10 (PUBLIC LIBRARY)
Write ONE WORD ONLY for each answer.
Example: The library re-opened last __month__The library now has
- a seating area with magazines
- an expanded section for books on __1__
- a new section on local __2__
- a community room for meetings (also possible to __3__ there)
- a new section of books for __4__
For younger children
- the next Science Club meeting: experiments using things from your __5__
- Reading Challenge: read six books during the holidays
- this Friday: a local author talks about a novel based on a real __6__
- IT support is available on Tuesdays - no __7__ is necessary
- free check of blood __8__ and cholesterol levels (over 60s only)
- the library shop sells wall-charts, cards and __9__
- evenings and weekends: free __10__ is available
SECTION 2 Questions 11-20 (BC TRAVAIL)
Questions 11 and 12 Choose TWO letters, A-E.
Which TWO age groups are taking increasing numbers of holidays with BC Travel?
- A 16-30 years
- B 31-42 years
- C 43-54 years
- D 55-64 years
- E over 65 years
Questions 13 and 14 Choose TWO letters, A-E.
Which TWO are the main reasons given for the popularity of activity holidays?
- A Clients make new friends.
- B Clients learn a useful skill.
- C Clients learn about a different culture.
- D Clients are excited by the risk involved.
- E Clients find them good value for money.
Questions 15-17 Choose the correct letter, A, B or C.
15 How does BC Travel plan to expand the painting holidays?
- A by adding to the number of locations
- B by increasing the range of levels
- C by employing more teachers
16 Why are BC Travel’s cooking holidays unusual?
- A They only use organic foods.
- B They have an international focus.
- C They mainly involve vegetarian dishes.
17 What does the speaker say about the photography holidays?
- A Clients receive individual tuition.
- B The tutors are also trained guides.
- C Advice is given on selling photographs.
Questions 18-20 Complete the table below. Write ONE WORD ONLY for each answer.Fitness Holidays
|Location||Main focus||Other comments|
|Ireland and Italy||general fitness||personally designed programme |
also reduces __18__
|Greece|| __19__ control ||includes exercise on the beach|
|Morocco||mountain biking||wide variety of levels|
one holiday that is specially designed for __20__
11. D, E - in either order
12. D, E - in either order
13. A, C - in either order
14. A, C - in either order
SECTION 3 Questions 21-30 (TOURISM)
Questions 21-26 Complete the flow-chart below. Choose SIX answers and write the correct letter, A-H, next to Questions 21-26.
H officialsSTAGES IN DOING A TOURISM CASE STUDY
- Locate and read relevant articles, noting key information and also __21__
- Identify a problem or need
- Select interviewees - these may be site __22__, visitors or city __23__
- Prepare and carry out interviews. If possible, collect statistics.
- Check whether __24__ of interviewees can be used
- Select relevant information and try to identify __25__
- Decide on the best form of visuals
WRITING THE CASE STUDY
- Give some background before writing the main sections
- Do NOT end with __26__
Questions 27-30 Choose the correct letter, A, B or C.The Horton Castle site
27 Natalie and Dave agree one reason why so few people visit Horton Castle is that
- A the publicity is poor.
- B it is difficult to get to.
- C there is little there of interest.
28 Natalie and Dave agree that the greatest problem with a visitor centre could be
- A covering the investment costs.
- B finding a big enough space for it.
- C dealing with planning restrictions.
29 What does Dave say about conditions in the town of Horton?
- A There is a lot of unemployment.
- B There are few people of working age.
- C There are opportunities for skilled workers.
30 According to Natalie, one way to prevent damage to the castle site would be to
- A insist visitors have a guide.
- B make visitors keep to the paths.
- C limit visitor numbers.
SECTION 4 Questions 31-40 (ENVIRONMENT)
Complete the notes below. Write ONE WORD ONLY for each answer. The effects of environmental change on birds
- Highly toxic
- Released into the atmosphere from coal
- In water it may be consumed by fish
- It has also recently been found to affect birds which feed on __31__
Research on effects of mercury or binds
Claire Varian-Ramos is investigating
- the effects on birds’ __32__ or mental processes, e.g. memory
- the effects on bird song (usually learned from a bird’s __33__)
- songs learned by birds exposed to mercury are less __34__
- this may have a negative effect on birds’ __35__
- allow more __36__ for the experimenter
Implications for humans
- Migrating birds such as __37__ containing mercury may be eaten by humans
- Mercury also causes problems in learning __38__
- Mercury in a mother’s body from __39__ may affect the unborn child
- New regulations for mercury emissions will affect everyone’s energy __40__