Want to know your IELTS vocabulary level? Try the Test Page. You can also Report My Test to us; Our tutors may view your testing and give you a suggestion. It is a FREE service.
By Kurzhuba Sample
Listening Practice: Hotel Volunteer Media Railway
This is a full sample of IELTS listening test, including booking hotel, volunteering aboard, media course, practice railway topics.
SECTION 1 Questions 1-10 (Booking Hotel)
Question 1-6 Write NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS AND/OR A NUMBER for each answer.
Example answer: Name of accommodation: __Carlton Hotel__
Length of stay: 3 nights
Ages of children: __1__
Rooms available: Two en-suites at £270
Price inclusive of: __2__
Payment method: credit card
Name: Michael __3__
Date of birth: __4__ 1968
Address: 273, Stanton Court, London.
Post code: __5__
Telephone: 08773 __6__
Questions 7-10 Write NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS AND/OR A NUMBER for each answer.
Mode of Transport
Travel time to town
Approximately __7__ £
Pick up from the hotel
£2 per person
Walk down Oak Tree __8__
Walk through __9__
1. 9 and 12 / nine and twelve 2. tax 3. Fernsby 4. 15 (th) October / 15th of October 5. WC2D 5JB / wc2d 5jb 6. 879456 7. 15 / fifteen 8. Avenue 9. the (nice) park 10. 30 minutes
SECTION 2 Questions 11-20 (Volunteer)
Questions 11-14 Choose the correct letter A, B or C.
11 The company expanded in
12 The number of permanent staff is
13 Most volunteers join the program
A in Winter
B in July
C when it is best for them
14 Time Abroad receives all its income from
A partner organisations
C the government
Questions 15-20 Write NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS AND/OR A NUMBER for each answer.
Helping with English __15__
Significantly improve the __16__ of many children and adults
Agriculture and Farming
Promoting sustainable and __17__ farming
- Promote __18__ farming methods - educate local communities
- Helping the vet with __19__ - Joining the vet on home visits
- Amazing insights into the country - See a lot of fascinating animals - Gain a greater __20__ of the difficulties in the country
11. B 12. C 13. C 14. B 15. conversation 16. learning experience 17. responsible 18. organic 19. sick animals 20. understanding
SECTION 3 Questions 21-30 (Media Course)
Questions 21 - 23 Choose the correct letter A, B or C.
21 How long did Louise work at a radio station?
A 2 years
B 4 years
C 6 years
22 Why does Louise want to do a Masters?
A To get a promotion in her current job
B To go into TV
C Employers like post-graduate qualifications
23 How long will it take to do the Masters part-time rather than the modular route?
A 18 months
B 3 years
C 4 years
Questions 24 and 25 Choose TWO letters from A-F. __24__,__25__
Which two things must Louise have to join the course?
A A bachelor's degree
B Work experience
C Either a bachelor's degree or work experience
D Research experience
E A completed thesis
Questions 26-30 Write NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS AND/OR A NUMBER for each answer.
Fees and Funding
The fees are __26__ per year to do the course part-time. The university has a __27__ it can use to fund the most suitable students. You must have a __28__ in place before you can get any funding. The details on funding can be found on the __29__. That will also have information on eligibility, help available, and __30__.
21. A 22. C 23. B 24. C 25. F 26. £2400 / 2400 pounds 27. (certain) budget 28. firm offer 29. university website 30. how to apply
SECTION 4 Questions 31-40 (Railway)
Questions 31 – 35 Complete the sentences below. Write ONE WORD ONLY for each answer
31. Indian Railways is owned and __31__ by the government of India.
32. There are more than __32__ million people working for Indian Railways
33. The __33__ of the railways from 1857 occurred under Robert Maitland Brereton.
34. The joining of the East Indian Railway with the Great Indian Peninsula Railway led to a network of __34__ kilometres.
35. The route from Bombay to Calcutta, opened in 1870, was an __35__ for the book Around the World in 80 days.
Questions 36-40 Complete the table below. Write NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS for each answer
The network radiated inward from __36__, Madras, and Calcutta.
It was not long before various independent kingdoms had their own __37__.
When the war finished the railways were suffering from __38__ and __38__.
Between 1920 and 1929, the railways had a __39__ of around £687 million.
The rolling stock that was moved to the Middle East included locomotives and __40__.
31. operated 32. 1.4 33. expansion 34. 6400 / 6,400 35. inspiration 36. Bombay 37. rail(way) systems 38. disrepair / collapse (IN ANY ORDER) 39. capital value 40. coaches