TOEFL iBT writing section consists of two parts: Integrated Writing Task, Independent Writing Task. At first, you have 20 minutes for the integrated writing. After finished, it's followed by 30 minutes of independent writing time. You will see details of two writing types and score rules here. The last section is the hot topics of independent writing, which link questions and sample answers.
2 Integrated Writing Recommendation
Integrated Writing tests your reading and listening skills together. You have 3 minutes to read academic content (300 words around) as a start, then hear listening material on the same topic and similar size. You need to summarize the contents of the listening material and explain the relationship with the reading material.
It tests your ability to read academic material and combining with listening material.
To finish your writing in 20 minutes, you need to apply a familiar method and skill to organize an essay. Your article should be in one of the following ways:
- Summarize the main points of the lecture and explain these points are how to challenge or support the specific points in the reading material.
- Summarize the main points of the lecture and explain how they are questioned or support specific arguments in the reading material.
- Summarize the main points of the lecture and explain how to answer the questions raised in the reading material.
Recommendations for reading:
1. Take notes.
2. Looking for essay points, arguments, or critical examples.
3. Carefully consider how the points to be developed and enhanced.
Usually, there are two ways: arguments and explanations to support the main points, for example, why some policies or measures are considered beneficial or present why some policies and rules are unfavorable and provide arguments and explanations.
4. Don't need to memory or copy reading material.
5. Commonly there are three main points to support or oppose its conclusion.
Recommendations for Listening
1. take notes
You should note details of information, examples, and explanations. For instance, they will illustrate the main points of the reading material, either wrong, no convincing, or even untrue.
Recommendations for Writing
1. After listening, you can remove the headphones.
2. Before you start writing, you can browse reading material, compare it with notes; then outline your structure.
3. You don't need to put forward your view, only explain the relationship or compare views between reading and hearing materials.
4. Use complete English sentences to write, occasional minor errors in expression, as long as don't affect the meaning of the article, shouldn't affect the final score.
5. Remember to include important information; your paper needs to meet the following points:
- Views, explanations, and arguments in the listening material;
- Clear, correct expression to accurately reflect the relationship between listening and reading materials;
- Notice the correspondences among the main points of reading and listening materials;
- Recommend your article is in 150 to 225 words.
3 Independent Writing Recommendation
TOEFL iBT writing's second task is an academic essay. As a test taker, you have 30 minutes to plan, write, and revise the independent paper. An effective response contains at least 300 words. If less than 300 words, it's still possibly marked a high score. However, a short article usually cannot express your view clearly and powerfully. So, 300 words length is an essential factor for a good score.
In this task, what you write is a typical small academic essay in response to a question that asks to express and support your ideal on a specified topic. It would be scored on the quality in three aspects:
- Development of your ideas
- Essay organization
- Quality and accuracy of the language
Development of your ideas Don't use a large introduction section or summary paragraph to increase the number of words. Provide enough views, examples, explanations, and reasoning or discussion, and your article should reach 300, or even 400.
Essay organization The main points in the article must be linked to the central theme by logic. The essay must form a whole to support your idea or conclusion. To get a good score, you need to avoid redundancy, digression, and unclear connections in sentences or paragraphs.
Quality and accuracy of the language If you only use simple or basic words and sentence structures, you cannot get a good score. You should show sentence structures and precise vocabulary as flexible as you can. A few spelling or grammatical errors don't affect the score, but if the error number goes large, you will lose your rating very much.
4 TOEFL Essay Topics
Here we offer 300 common TOEFL essay (academic writing) practice questions that are organized by 100 topics. You can get essay questions by a topic, and then view, draft, or exercise writing directly. More than 100 writing questions have sample answers.
Grouping essay questions by topics is an efficient way to save your preparation time. Please note that some problems may involve two or more topics so that you may see the same question under different topics.
Sample answers are supposed to trigger your inspiration and aren't perfect models, so never copy them to your test paper. Notably, some sentences in sample answers are gray-lighted; it means that defect in either grammar or logic needs to improve and refine.
Select any topic you are interested in; you will get its question list. Then you can view any question with just a click.Click topic to get sample questions and answers