TOEFL IBT isn't easy exam for EFL (English as a Foreign Language) students. Usually you have to master 10000+ words to have a high score. So building TOEFL vocabulary is a key job in preparation. At this website we collect and enhance some popular TOEFL word lists for students in different levels with new definitions, examples, and exercises. We also have some tips and experiences to share with TOEFL test takers regarding to prepare TOEFL words. We all know TOEFL IBT isn't just vocabulary test. It includes lots of contents and cover reading, writing, listening, and speaking, like many other English skill examinations. But vocabulary is the fundamental factor in all English skills. You cannot expect to have an excellent score in any English exams with a poor size of vocabulary. As for EFL test takers, vocabulary level even plays a more important part in English skills. TOEFL exam is in this case. Its test takers have to spend lots of time to study new words and review known ones. Building vocabulary is one of the heaviest jobs in preparing TOEFL exam.
TOEFL vocabulary isn’t a clear academic concept and never has a definition. What is TOEFL vocabulary? No one can answer confidently, even the organization that runs it. In general, we circle words as TOEFL vocabulary, which occurred in TOEFL exam papers before, or highly relate to topics that are usually in TOEFL exam papers. It means TOEFL vocabulary isn’t an absolutely set. As a matter of fact, TOEFL test takers usually work with own word list to build vocabulary, because different initial levels and different test goals need different word lists. At vocabulary section, 7 word lists are available to meet with various requirements. We hope you can find out one or more to build vocabulary for future TOEFL exam.
500 Basic TOEFL Vocab
: Are you looking for a simple list for TOEFL test? You may see this basic TOEFL vocab somewhere else. Lots of websites and books use these TOEFL words as source of flash cards and exercise. We collect them here and revise some with new definitions. All words are organized into 3 groups.
TOEFL Vocabulary and Example
: This is a set of difficult TOEFL words. We collected examples from real and alive English media, and believe they are extremely useful for high score hunters. This TOEFL vocabulary not only shows you word and definition, but also sentence and usage. Never miss it!
TOEFL Word List 1600
: This list is extremely important in TOEFL reading test, especially for high score hunters. For most test takers, this middle size TOEFL word list is 2 weeks' job to review and study. Some can finish in less than one week. It explanations have been revised and maintained as well as local languages for EFL people.
100 TOEFL Sample Words
: This is a shortest vocabulary to offer a sample set of TOEFL words. Here sample has two meanings: the words are selected from official sample test papers, these words represent a must-have level for TOEFL test. It is a quick list to evaluate TOEFL vocabulary level.
300 TOEFL Writing Vocabulary
: The short TOEFL vocabulary is grouped in 6 units. It's the most popular TOEFL vocabulary in this site, simple and useful. These words are basically selected for writing test. You had better try to spell them rather than just know them. This list will be an important asset in your TOEFL writing test.
5000 TOEFL Vocabulary List
: This is a full and quick list for TOEFL test takers. It isn't for study new word; initially, only words are listed and no definitions. This design is to review TOEFL vocabulary as fast as passible. If you want to get definition, click the lookup button on demand. The proven TOEFL vocabulary list is a simple and convenient tool to prepare test in fast paces.
TOEFL Words with Synonyms
: This list has 600 TOEFL words, that are initially from a ESL student help web page of IOWA S. Univ.. We added new definitions, synonyms, extra definitions in 20 languages to this list. In general, it is a middle size and ESL friendly TOEFL words list for reading test.
The next question is what apps can help to prepare TOEFL vocabulary. Considering diverse requirements, we collect 4 apps to meet with various vocabulary builders. Some of them are excellent online vocabulary building tools for different levels and schedules; the others are leisure reading apps.
TOEFL Vocabulary Test Online
: A very popular online tool to evaluate TOEFL vocabulary. Before you plan to build TOEFL words, you probably want to know own current level. If so, this app exactly works for you. It makes quizzes based on a set of 1000 TOEFL words and offers interactive online test and practice to evaluate your TOEFL vocabulary level.
5000 TOEFL Words in 120 Days
: It is a very popular TOEFL vocabulary building apps with more than 10 thousands users. It has a very basic TOEFL vocabulary, which is for you to pass future test. If you just want to have a passed-only score, take this app to spend one month on a proven TOEFL word list is a reasonable option.
Hard TOEFL Words
: This app includes a hard TOEFL word list and is for test takers who are aiming to apply top universities. For high score hunters, to prepare hard words before real TOEFL exam is a necessary job. This app offers three statuses, new, known, and review needed, to help you mark each word in studying.
Tips and experiences section is a hub to collect articles and materials to help TOEFL test takers to prepare vocabulary. This section would concentrate on TOEFL vocabulary building; however, we possibly include other topics related to TOEFL preparation if they are useful or interesting in the view of our visitors.
TOEFL Spelling Quiz for Writing Test
: In this web site, we offer spelling quiz for each word in all TOEFL vocabulary. Spelling is essential skill in TOEFL writing test. You may not spell every word in TOEFL vocabulary; but you have to spell some of them, because you must have a set of words that can express ideas in writing test.
Personalized TOEFL Flashcards
: Some TOEFL test takers used to study new words by flashcard. If you are one of them, you can follow the fantastic features of this web site to make own flashcards. Basically, we offer two common flashcard styles: one side and two sides. You can customize own flashcards in minutes.
TOEFL Single Choice Word Question
: This is a common feature for all TOEFL word list in this web site. A single choice word question is to match a word to 4 possible definitions. It’s an online and interactive practice; and highlighted the right answer as long as you select the right option. It is an efficient way to review known words.
Download TOEFL Vocabulary PDF
: You may experience sort of frustration when you try to download a TOEFL vocabulary PDF file. It’s not easy to get an existing PDF that matches with your requirement exactly. Here we show you how to make own personalized TOEFL vocabulary PDF file through free internet resources.
We assume many users of this web site understand TOEFL exam already, since they are preparing or planning to prepare vocabulary for this test. However, in order to clarify some confusions regrading to TOEFL exam itself, we append a concise introduction of the test here.
TOEFL IBT Listening Description and Topics
The TOEFL IBT listening exam is divided into two parts, conversations and lectures. Both are compiled from the North American campus dialogue, the length of each lecture or dialogue is around 3-6 minutes. And in order to mock the real scenarios, common wrong word, duplication, and self-correcting commonly appears in the listening material. The materials are not intended to test the candidate's memory, so encouraged to take notes while listening to do.
TOEFL dialogue has 2 types:
- Office hours
- Campus services
Generally, "Office hours" dialogue occurs in the office of professor, the topics are usually regarding courses, such as the requirement to delay the deadline for handing work, or students consult the professor to discuss specific concept. "Campus Services" dialogues take place on campus, and usually don’t involve academic content, such as course registration or request accommodation expenses. Each dialog contains 5 questions.
TOEFL IBT listening lectures like Professor true class. Lectures may be: professor of speech, questions of a student to the professor, or questions to the students. Each lecture time is about five minutes, a total of six questions.
Content of lectures are involved a very large range of subjects, candidates do not need to appropriate preliminary knowledge, because the materials are just introductory. All information needed for answer should be in listening material. The possible topics are divided into the following four categories:
- Life science
- Physical science
- Social science
Topics in Arts:
- Industrial design / art
- City planning
- Crafts and traditional arts
- Cave / rock art
- Music and music history
- Literature and the authors
- Books, newspapers, magazines, journals
Topics in Life Sciences:
- Extinction of or conservation efforts for animals and plants
- Fish and other aquatic organisms
- Bacteria and other one-celled organisms
- Medical techniques
- Public health
- Physiology of sensory organs
- Animal behavior, migration, food foraging, defensive behavior
- Habitats and the adaptation of animals and plants
- Nutrition and its impact on the body
- Animal communication
Topics in Physical science:
- Weather and atmosphere
- Glaciers, glacial landforms, ice ages
- Deserts and other extreme environments
- Pollution, alternative energy, environmental policy
- Other planets' atmospheres
- Astronomy and cosmology
- Properties of Light, Optics
- Properties of sound
- Electromagnetic radiation
- Molecular Physics and Particle physics
- TV, radio and radar technology
- Computer Science
- Seismology, plate structure, earthquakes, tectonics, continental drift, structure of volcanoes
Topics of social sciences:
- Anthropology of non-industrialized civilizations
- Early writing systems
- Historical linguistics
- Business, management, marketing, accounting
- TV / radio as mass communication
- Social behavior of groups, community dynamics, communal behavior
- Child development
- Urbanization and industrialization history and its economic and social impact
TOEFL IBT Listening Question Types
At listening section, in addition to traditional single choice, following question styles possibly occur:
- Multiple-choice questions, the number of correct answers is greater than one, such as 2 correct in 4 options.
- Sort by requirements in accordance with the chronological order or process steps
- Corresponding title given classification table.
- Re-listen, candidates will hear part of the listening material once more, and answer a question by just heard material.
Questions in listening section basically are divided into 8 types, and they can be attributed to following three categories:
Basic Comprehension Questions
Type 1. Gist-Content
- Remove the option that contains only part of the material
- Review notes, consider which options your notes linked
Type 2: Gist-Purpose
- Looking for the theme of the dialogue. For example, in the professor's office a student talked about glaciers paper. But the theme of the dialogue is the student needs some help writing paper. The purpose of this dialogue didn’t matter with glacier views.
- In Campus Services dialogues, usually students try to solve the problem. Try to understand what is the problem and how to solve it will help you answer questions on such issues.
Type 3: Detail
- Remember, the content of the examination will not be irrelevant point, if your notebook contains the main details of the conversation or lecture, then search notes will solve this problem.
- Do not select an option that includes some dialogue or lecture word, the wrong option usually contain such words.
- Not sure which is correct answer, you need to consider which option is the most consistent and dialogue or lecture.
Pragmatic Understanding Questions
Type 4: Understanding the Function of What Is Said
- Intent of the dialogue may not match with the meaning of the expression of speaker directly. For example, a secretary asked the student whether he knew the location of professor office; she didn’t want to get the location from the student.
Type 5: Understanding the Speaker's Attitude
- Pay attention to the tone of the speaker. Does it include apologies? Or full of doubt, cheerful enthusiasm? The tone of the speaker will be able to help you solve some problems.
Information Contact Questions
Type 6. Understanding Organization
Type 7. Connecting Content
- To questions you need to fill in a form or sort options, pay attention to the method of taking notes. Notice definitions and steps and write down them clearly should help a lot to solve the question.
Type 8. Making Inferences
- Normally, this kind of problem we need to consider the details of the conversation, and get a conclusion by full context. In addition, the professor lectures may not directly point out the right option, but hinted something. In most cases, the correct option does not appear in the listening materials apparently.
To improve your listening section behavior, you also need consider some recommendations while examining.
- Listen when taking notes, only the main points will be investigated to, so we do not write down all the details.
- When listening to lectures, pay attention to the new words and new concepts mentioned by professor, these are usually key content in questions.
- Notice the structure of lecture, as well as connections among the main points.
- Choose the best answer, the computer will ask you to confirm your selection, click OK, you will automatically enter the next question
- Once you click OK, you will not be able to return to the previous question.
- Maximize own vocabulary.
- Focus on content, not to be influenced by the speaker's tone of voice and manner of speech.
- Guess the speaker’s next sentence, in order to help keep the focus.
- Ask yourself when listening, for example, lectures mainly about what, in order to keep the focus.
- Try to write down keynote, points, important detail
TOEFL IBT Reading Suggestion
Reading to find information
- Read full text, look for the basis of the facts (dates, numbers, terminology nouns) and information.
- Repeatedly practicing the above reading method, improve reading speed and efficiency.
Reading for basic comprehension
- Extend vocabulary using flashcards help.
- Should not word for word when reading articles, exercise how to read the full story and get the central idea as fast as possible.
- Strengthen the ability to catch up key points by browsing through rapidly.
- Based on first time quick reading, re-visit important paragraphs or sentences, note main views, augments, and facts.
- Pick up unknown words and guess meanings be context.
- Find out all pronouns (he, him, they, them, etc.), and understand what they are pointed out on behalf of.
- Practice reasoning, try to get the implied meanings behind sentences.
- Understand that article structure type, such as cause / results, compare / contrast, problem / solution, description, narrative, etc.
- Get outline of article, distinguish major and minor arguments.
- If the article groups something, draw a chart and make classification
- If the article involved with steps or order, try to outline them in brief sentences.
- Write abstracts based on chart of c or outline of d.
- Replace words of article, and reorganize sentence or paragraphs in context
TOEFL IBT Writing Recommendations
IBT writing section consists of two parts: Integrated Writing Task, Independent Writing TaskAt first, you have 20 minutes for the integrated writing. That is followed by 30 minutes of independent writing time. You will see details of two types of writing and score rules. It is worth noting that the essay is taken as first draft, and so don’t have to be perfect. Some articles contain a few of errors, but still get high scores.
Integrated Writing Recommendations
Candidate has 3 minutes to read academic content as start; then hear listening material on the same topic. You need to summarize the contents of the listening material, and explain the relationship with reading materials.
It tests your ability of reading academic material and combining with listening material.
To finish your work in short time, you need apply familiar method to organize essay. Your article should be in one of methods following:
- Summarize the main points of the lecture, pay attention to explain these points is how to challenge or support the specific points in the reading material.
- Summarize the main points of the lecture, and explain how they are questioned or support specific arguments in the reading material.
- Summarize the main points of the lecture, and explain that how to answer the questions raised in the reading material.
Recommendations for reading:
Looking for essay points, arguments, or key examples.
Carefully consider how the points to be developed and enhanced, usually by two ways:
- Arguments and explanations to support the main points. For example, why some policies or measures are considered beneficial
- Presents why some policies and measures are unfavorable, and provide arguments and explanations.
Don’t require to memory or copy reading material, because it will reappear when writing.
Commonly there are 3 main points to support or oppose its conclusion.
Recommendations for Listening
Note details of information, examples and explanations. Typically they will illustrate the main points of the reading material is wrong, no convincing, or even untrue.
Recommendations for Writing
After listening, you can remove of the headphones.
Before you start writing, you can browse reading material, compare with notes; then outline own structure.
Remember that you do not need to put forward own view. You just explain relationship or compare views between the content and reading hearing materials.
Use complete English sentences to write. Occasional minor errors in expression, as long as don’t affect the meaning of article, don’t affect the final score.
Remember to keep important information. Your paper needs to include the contents as follows:
- Views, explanations and arguments in listening material.
- Clear, correct expression to accurately reflect the relationship between the content of listening and reading materials
- Notice the correspondences among main points of reading and listening materials
- F. Recommend your article is in 150 to 225 words.
More information is in its official website. TOEFL Test